The course is designed to provide the necessary theoretical background and practical skills for applicants to acquire a competency “Skipper of seagoing vessel up to 40GT’’ for the safe management and operation of vessels up to 40 GT.
Successful graduates of this course will be eligible to take an exam before the Maritime Administration to obtain CoC “Skipper of seagoing vessel up to 40GT”.
Those who successfully complete this course acquire the knowledge, skills and practical experience to enable them to operate a vessel up to 40 GT in an unrestricted navigation area, ensuring the safety of navigation, the lives ofpeople on board, the protection of the marine environment, pollution and property at sea.
They need to know:
- to apply the International Rules for the Prevention of Collision at Sea,
- how to safely operate and maneuver the vessel, taking into account its technical and operational limitations;
-to work with the means of communication on board, including distress communications and emergencies;
- to prevent pollution of the marine environment during the operation of the vessel and in emergencies;
- to handle the documentation of the vessel,
- to design the departure and arrival of the vessel;
- to deal with regulations governing the safety of navigation and the protection of the marine environment from pollution; to be able to:
- to safely operate the vessel;
- to manage and maintain the propulsion complex, mechanisms and devices, and to ensure the stability and seaworthiness of the vessel;
- to maintain and repair the hull, deck mechanisms and equipment, mast, rigging and windshield (if any)
- to act appropriately in the event of an emergency at sea and to take effective care of persons on board and to protect the marine environment from pollution.